LIVINGSTONE (David, 1813-1873, Scottish Missionary & Explorer)

The final four sides of a superb Autograph Letter Signed to the  Rev. Edwin SIDNEY  (1798-1872), "But after all it is not the false or even true philosophers whose sympathies well up to all this world of woe. It is the men in whose hearts the love of Christ is the controlling motive that feel for all the lost ... of our race whether at home and abroad ...", he continues about his plans to "experiment with the tame buffaloes of India - they are so like the wild ones of Africa which are not killed by the poison of the Tsetse that I have sent over 14 which I propose to use as beasts of burden - and if they withstand the evil effects of the bite of this insect we shall confer a greater boon on Africa than you will on England by ... At present no beast of burden exists there. I have also nine Africans who were recaptured and educated at a Government school near Bombay. They are all young, have acquired a knowledge of some trade & are Christians. They understand that hard work is meant ... I regret that I neglected to send you a copy of my last work ..." but he will find it in the Library, "My present attempt is to the North ... away from all Portuguese ...", 4 sides 8vo., no place, no date

Apparently Unpublished.
Livingstone left London on 13th Aug. 1865 and arrived in Bombay on 11th September. Here he sold his boat the Lady Nyassa and invested the money in shares in an Indian bank which failed a year or two afterwards. He stayed in India until January 1866. Sir Bartle Frere, governor of Bombay, gave him a passage to Zanzibar in the Thule, a government vessel, which was to be presented to the sultan of Zanzibar as a gift from the Bombay government. He had brought with him from India some boys from the Nassick Mission, and thirteen sepoys, as a nucleus for his expedition. At Zanzibar he engaged ten Johanna men and four natives of Nyasaland, and bought camels, buffaloes, mules, and donkeys to experiment on their resistance to the effect of the tsetse fly. He arrived off the Rovuma in H.M.S. Penguin on 22nd March, but owing to difficulties of entering, landed in Mikindani Bay on 4th April. The animals were overloaded and maltreated by the sepoys, and bitten by the tsetse fly.

Item Date:  1866

Stock No:  26570     


LIVINGSTONE-26570-1.jpg LIVINGSTONE-26570-2.jpg

<< Back

HyperLink      HyperLink      ABOUT SOPHIE   |   CONTACT SOPHIE   |   TERMS & CONDITIONS